| Register
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PHYLO  (Read 1367 times)
bionicgroin

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »

Hey I was at this science conference the other day. It's like an anime con, but like science talks instead of panels, and poster presentations instead of cosplay. But one guy from UBC who works for the micheal smith labs does science education projects where he interacts with the public. One of his projects was a collectible card game like pokemon, but about actual animals instead of pokemon and with the purpose of teaching biodiversity. All the cards are free to download and print. I haven't taken too much of a look at the rules, but it looks like it's a playable game. Maybe we could give it a shot at the sleepover or something.

http://phylogame.org/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:10:31 AM by bionicgroin » Logged
bionicgroin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »

oh yeah, also they're still trying to figure out the rules. The game is still a beta. They have an online community of scientists, artists and gamers who are working together to figure out how to make the game interesting, informative and easy to learn.
NauticalMongoose

I will show you the power of my drill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

Ceiling Cat needs to be a special power card

"The Amonites and Hittites were common enemies in my Old Testament D&D campaign" - Actual IRC quote
xlich6

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »

North American beaver is the cutest thing ever. Just sayin.
 Actual comments: We totally should play this. It combines 2 of my favorite things, cute animals and complex rules.

I'm the best character in a game about robots and the internet.
Fatso
Video Game Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP DOOR SPIDER CARD
bionicgroin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

There are rules for parasites, predation and invasive species. Basically you have to make the biggest ecosystem possible and you can do things use invasive species action cards to displace opponent's cards and stuff.
xlich6

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »

Suggesting that we play this game like in an anime, just for shits and giggles. Also will gel hair to obtain maximum levels of anime.

I'm the best character in a game about robots and the internet.
Psyentific

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »

Suggesting that we play this game like in an anime, just for shits and giggles. Also will gel hair to obtain maximum levels of anime.
Do this, film it
bionicgroin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »

Do this, film it

That's not a bad idea. I could send the video to the scientists who designed the game and let them analyze the footage.

"What is weeaboo? It sounds like a genus of marine invertebrate, but I'm not sure."
"They seem to subsist only on snack food. Maybe they express metabolic enzymes that allow them to survive on sugar and starch alone."
"Their social calls and costume resemble mating displays, but there are no females present. Do they reproduce through parthenogeneisis?"

I think it this may lead to some new scientific discoveries being made.
GoatBoy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »

Do this, film it

That's not a bad idea. I could send the video to the scientists who designed the game and let them analyze the footage.

"What is weeaboo? It sounds like a genus of marine invertebrate, but I'm not sure."
"They seem to subsist only on snack food. Maybe they express metabolic enzymes that allow them to survive on sugar and starch alone."
"Their social calls and costume resemble mating displays, but there are no females present. Do they reproduce through parthenogeneisis?"

I think it this may lead to some new scientific discoveries being made.

More likely the experiment will be abandoned and all specimens incinerated.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to:  

Fall 2014:
Gaming:
List of Games, Fall 2014
(Bi-)Weekly Oneshots Fall 2014
Steam Gaming Nights

* Upcoming Events

* Recent Topics
Operation: Earth by ragdoll
in Play by Post